Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS)
The Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS) was established by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), in collaboration with the KIDS advisory committee. The Kindergarten Readiness Stakeholder Committee was convened by State Superintendent Christopher Koch in March 2010. Over 50 committee members worked hard to examine the feasibility of adopting a uniform statewide kindergarten readiness process.
The goals of the process were:
- Identify gaps in school readiness
- Provide information to drive more effective classroom instruction
- Support state and local data-driven decision-making on professional development and resource allocation
The Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS) Advisory Committee was convened in October of 2011 and met in March and June 2012. The role of the committee was to advise and support the selection, development, and implementation of the instrument. After careful consideration the California Department of Education's (CDE) Desired Results Developmental Profile-School Readiness instrument was selected. It was developed by the CDE, WestEd and the University of California, Berkeley BEAR Center. Over the next few years, research studies will be conducted to adapt the assessment to be Illinois specific.
Developmentally appropriate and aligned, the Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS) assessment can provide useful information to teachers and administrators in order to better address children’s learning and developmental needs over time. It is an essential strategy to close the readiness gap and ensure all children thrive in their earliest years. KIDS is a comprehensive process designed to provide information about children’s competencies across developmental domains over time and to inform whether Illinois’ kindergarteners have the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in school.
Illinois KIDS Implementation Trainings for the 2013/2014 Training Year
This two day implementation training will prepare teachers to observe, assess, document, and report on children’s development using the KIDS assessment instrument.
Implementation training will be available in 16 locations:
• Elgin, IL-June 5-6, 2013
• Mattoon, IL-July 10-11, 2013
• Mt. Vernon, IL-July 15-16, 2013
• Carpentersville, IL-July 22-23, 2013
• Freeport, IL-July 29-30, 2013
• Greater Chicago Area-July 29-30, 2013-TBD
• Peoria, IL-July 31-August 1, 2013
• Quincy, IL-August 6-7, 2013
• Moline, IL-August 6-7, 2013
• Lyons, IL-August 6-7, 2013
• Springfield, IL-August 8-9, 2013
• Elgin, IL-August 8-9, 2013
• Arlington Heights, IL-August 12-13, 2013
• Palos Heights, IL-August 14-15, 2013
• Oak Park, IL-August 19-20, 2013
• Carterville, IL-August 21-22, 2013
Training times are 8:30 am - 3:30 pm each day. A $15 stipend per day will be provided.
For information on how to register for Illinois KIDS Implementation Trainings please contact either Vicki Hodges(217-524-4835) or Karen McCarthy (312-814-2233) with the Illinois State Board of Education. Or send an email to email@example.com.